Monday, September 7, 2009

The Smoker

I just ate the best meat ever prepared at my house. After 22 years at 4709 Candleberry, I have never had such a satisfying meal.

My dad and I made the move into the world of smoking or BBQing. This is not grilling, or the kind of pool-party sizzle-fest done every 4th of July by every God-fearing, red-blooded American. But don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with grilling...it is just not BBQ. BBQ requires a slow and low indirect heat with wood chips to infuse meats, cheeses, fish, nuts, or fruit with smoky goodness.

We decided on the Masterbuilt 30" electric smokehouse, from Lowes. (below)

This is a great model, referred to as the crock pot of smokers. Because it is electric it can be set to cook at a prescribed temp and time and left alone for amazing results. I can say this because we just cooked 10 lbs of pork ribs for 5 hours with hickory wood chips. The meat was right on par with the award winning, presidential favorite BBQ places I ate at when I was in Arkansas.

After dinner my family sat around, not really speaking, but just blurting out things like, "Smoked Almonds!", "Yeah.", "Applewood smoked bacon!", "Big time.", "Smoked Cheddar!", "mmm."

I have a new hobby that is for sure.

"Pecanwood smoked marshmallows!"

"I want those"

No comments:

Post a Comment