Sunday, June 28, 2009

Home Improvements

As a makeshift job I am doing small repair jobs around the house. It is much easier to ask for money when I have something to show for and it is probably easier for my dad to give money when he sees the door he destroyed fixed.

While I was at school, I missed a comical incident when my dad got locked in his room. Something failed on the door nob and he could not get it open. So from the second story my dad pulled up a care kit of tools selected by my sister and mom. It is likely they gave him the prettiest tools rather than the most functional ones. That is honestly how they think. They recently bought a TV simply because it was white. They had no idea what functionality it had, they just know that it matched the kitchen. So needless to say the tools where probably rust-free and matching the blood red fury in my dad's face.

My dad ended up hacking away at the door with a flat head screwdriver and needle nose pliers until the handle and bolt came out. Great. Now the door is semi functional and completely ugly. This is where I step in.

I was able to to cut out the destroyed part and replace it with some scrap wood I had in the garage. I sanded it, primered, painted it, and rigged it with a new locking handle. Mom said "It looked so great!" and Dad said "It works!".

With Mother Form and Father Function happy, I can now pridefully ask for some money.

My next project will be installing a tile floor in their bathroom. Yeah...I'm that poor right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment